Monday, September 24, 2012

Cancer

So...
My results have come back and it has been confirmed that I do indeed have Oesophageal Cancer.

I have been for various different scans so far and I'm still waiting for the results of my PET scan which allows the doctors to 'stage' the tumour i.e. see how big it is, how far it has spread (or hasn't spread hopefully) and if any of my lymph nodes are affected.
So far from the results of my CT scan the tumour looks to be quite small, hasn't spread to the outside wall of my oesophagus (less chance of it spreading to my heart and lungs through contact that way) and there were no enlarged lymph nodes so hopefully the PET scan doesn't show anything that the CT scan didn't show!!

I have a meeting with my Oncologist tomorrow where we will discuss my treatment plan and the way forward from here - it's going to be a 'take each day as it comes' period in my life but I'm hoping that in a year's time I'll be starting my road to recovery a better, stronger person than before.

I count myself lucky at the amount of love and support I have felt so far on this journey and there are so many people who go through life not knowing how much you mean to people and how many lives you touch along the way and I'm very privileged to be experiencing this right now. I'll never take it for granted again and apart from this diagnosis I'm a very blessed and lucky woman.

3 comments:

  1. I can't imagine what your're feeling right now. Stay strong and keep your chin up! I'm glad you have support around during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All the best through this difficult time. I'm glad you have plenty of friends and family around you for support, I hope you get the results you hope for! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear the lump in your throat is cancer. I can't imagine what you are going through right now. I hope the doctors can treat it and you can kick the cancer in the butt! xxx

    ReplyDelete