Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sweat your Thorns Off 5K race review

Saturday morning was the big day - I was going to 'compete' in my first 'official' and virtual 5K race.
I've run my 5K route a few times now but I've always used it as part of my 10K training and have walked sections and run sections so my aim was to try and run my 5K completely.
I'll be honest and say I failed this - I made it two miles before I had to stop and walk - this also coincided with a big hill that my route includes.
It was also pretty hot (for Scotland) and the sun was beating down on my back which I'm not used to which made it pretty hard for me

Look at the gorgeous sunshine!!

I also made the mistake of needing a pee for basically the whole of my run which made it a bit uncomfortable

I finished in 35.36 mins which equals my previous best time so I was a bit bummed out about that - I really wanted this to be a PR but then again it's my first race so anything is a PR I guess!!

I'm really glad I did this - and it's amazing to hear all about other's experiences - I finally feel like I am part of something bigger than myself - great job The Boring Runner

4 comments:

  1. Hannah, you did AWESOME! Who cares if you walk or run? A mile is a mile. I hope to someday finish in 35 minutes like you! I have to knock off 5 minutes to get to your time. I'm so proud of you! Keep rockin' it woman! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Laura!! I know a mile is a mile but I'd really like to be able to run the whole thing - it'll come I suppose but I'm not known for being very patient!!

      Delete
  2. Congrats! You did amazing :) I'm still working up the courage to even attempt a 5k on my own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot!!
      You'll get there don't you worry - it was only in February that I was so pleased that I'd run for 90 secs on the treadmill that I actually got off the treadmill to go and tell my trainer at the gym!!

      Delete