Thursday, July 26, 2012

Grace and Grazing

Sorry for not posting for a couple of days life got in the way and got a bit hectic.
My flatmate came back from travelling yesterday so I spent the night before giving the flat a bit of a tidy so that it wasn't a mess when she came home.
I'll be honest and say it really wasn't that bad, I'd hoovered the whole flat and cleaned the kitchen at the weekend and I generally tidy up after I'm done so it didn't take long. The thing that took the longest was making space in the fridge! Paul and I had taken over the whole fridge while she was away and that night I had to try and cram all of my food back into my half so that she could put stuff in there.
Paul and I also made a lovely dinner of Steak, Potato Wedges and Vegetables because it was our last night on our own in the flat


Tuesday night also consisted of my first Beginners Ballet class!!
I started going to Street Dance classes a while ago for something different to do to help me lose weight in a fun way and stop me from getting bored running all the time. The class is great fun, I'm easily the most uncoordinated and fattest person there but I try not to dwell on that and I figure if I stop going neither of those things will change!! One day I'll be able to move my feet AND arms at the same time and I'm hoping that I'll also shed a few more inches so I'm going to continue going and see how I get on.
Besides the classes are only £5 a session which is the best value I've found anywhere near Glasgow and the studio is right near where I live so it's handy to get to.
So anyway... back to the ballet
I've always wanted to be a bit more flexible - I can't even touch my toes!! I think it stems from years of rugby playing and having tight calves but anyways I thought learning ballet would help with that and once again bring something else different to my weekly workout routine.
The class was brilliant - I got a bit confused with some of the terminology because the teacher seemed to be teaching us a new word / position every few minutes but I really enjoyed myself.
Along with the flexibility I'm hoping it'll help me feel a bit more graceful. Like I said I played rugby for a good few years when I was at university and continued for a while afterwards and I've always been a bit of a tomboy since I was a kid so I've always thought of myself as a tough bruiser of a fat person.
I'm definitely big boned and I can't help that, I'm what people would call a 'typical Yorkshire lass' but now that I've lost a bit of weight and gained a more feminine figure (I have a big bum and thighs but that's counter balanced with a tiny waist) I'd like to feel a bit more feminine too.
Don't get me wrong I still love being a powerful and strong woman (I'm also considering starting CrossFit) but I'd like to know that there's some grace in me too!!
I'm really looking forward to the next class but at the moment my legs are on fire! Yesterday they were a wee bit sore but today my calves are screaming at me!!
Does anyone know of any tricks (without a foam roller at the moment, I'm going to buy one at the weekend) to help loosen my legs up because I'm planning on going for a run tonight and I have Street Dance tomorrow and I don't want to be in pain for either!!

Last night I took a night off from exercising - I had the beginnings of a migraine so I took myself to bed at about 9pm to try and sleep it off - my eyes still feel a bit funny today but not nearly as bad as yesterday so I'm hoping a nice gentle jog tonight will help clear my head.
I also fell off the wagon with my eating a bit yesterday - my flatmate brought me a red velvet cupcake from the Hummingbird Bakery so I ate that which pushed me over my daily allowance but I'm hoping it's far enough away from Monday's weigh in so I can push myself running and not put the weight on!

I also heard back from FitBit and they are sending me a new one so hopefully that will arrive soon and I can start counting my steps again!! I've felt very lost without it recently!

The other thing I'm excited about is my Graze box arrived yesterday!! I was inspired my fellow blogger The Road to Less Cake to sign up for these again.
I got them a few months ago and then stopped them because at the time I was on the Slimming World plan and they added up to more syns than I wanted to eat for the box but now I'm just counting calories they are more than manageable and a great way to keep your snacks interesting.
You get a box with four little tubs in it each with a different assortment of snacks and a card which tells you all the nutritional values of each box. You can even log on to their website and rate each snack and tell them which ones you want more of etc
If you're in the UK check it out here - it's healthy and there's a little bit of excitement to see what's in each box every week!!
Today I'm going to be trying 'Poached Pear'
Its only 106 calories for the whole tub and has dried pear slices, vanilla pumpkin seeds and lemon sultanas in it!! Even better is that MFP has them in their database so it's really easy to account for them!
I'll let you know if I enjoy this box or not.

I hope everyone is having a good week - not one to wish my life away but it's nearly the weekend!!

Question: Has anyone got any tips on buying a foam roller? Has anyone else tried graze boxes? Doing anything special this weekend?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Hannah! Those little boxes are so cute! I've never heard of them here in the states...will be checking into them though! I wanted to let you know that I awarded you the Liebster Blogger Award for being such an inspiration to so many people in dealing with life, exercise, work, food and everything in between! See my blog for the details, but don't feel that you have to do it, but can if you want! I just wanted to let you know what an inspiration you are :) www.spicingupmylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they are available in the US just yet sorry!! Although I'm sure if you got enough people to bug them then they might look into it!!
      Oh my gosh that's lovely!! Thank you very much - I'm thrilled that you think lil old me is an inspiration!!

      Delete
  2. Love your food pics!

    I tagged you in a post:

    http://www.goaloflosing.com/2012/07/goaloflosing-award-winning-blog.html

    Don't feel obligated to do it, but it was fun for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow!! Thank you so much!! I've been AWOL for a couple of days but I'm back now and I'll totally answer it!!

      Delete
  3. Ballet classes sound like so much fun, so different to the norm. I also have really tight muscles in my legs, and have been planning on buying a foam roller for awhile, I must do that asap! In the meantime, if you discover any tips, let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard a rolling pin can help but the main thing I've heard is if it's hurting then it's helping!!
      Yeah I'm really enjoying ballet - my legs are hurting today thought!! I'm not the most graceful of people but I'm attempting to change that!!

      Delete